Sunday, January 3, 2016

Whole Wheat Artisan Bread No Sugar

I have been looking for a recipe for whole wheat bread that has no sugar, honey or any other sweetener in it. This is more challenging than you would think. I also wanted something that would be relatively easy to make and didn't require a super long proofing time. I scored big time when I found this recipe on Heartful Habits for a simple whole wheat artisan bread that is made simply with water, AP flour, whole wheat flour, yeast and salt. That's it. It's SUPER easy to make, and it is SO delicious! In fact, I think I like it better than any other bread I've made - not kidding. It's so good. I think I'll be making this on a regular basis.

Whole Wheat Artisan Bread - No Sugar

Ingredients:
1.5 c warm water (about 110 degrees - and yes, I test mine with a thermometer)
1/2 tbsp + 3/4 tsp dry, active yeast (or instant yeast works here as well)
3/4 tsp salt
1.75 c whole wheat flour
1.5 c all purpose flour

1. Place all ingredients into a large lidded bowl or container.

2. Mix with a wooden spoon to combine.

3. Place lid on somewhat loosely to allow gases from the yeast to escape. Place somewhere warm to rise for 2 hours.

4. Shape the dough, and place on lightly floured parchment paper. Cover and allow to rest for 40 minutes.

5. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place baking sheet (I used a baking stone) in oven at this time as well to warm up. Also put in an oven safe dish of water to create steam.

6. With a serrated knife make a few slashes across the loaf. Place the loaf on the parchment paper onto your hot baking sheet/pan/stone and into the oven.

7. Bake for 30-40 minutes. The bread is done when the crust is golden, and it sounds hollow when you tap it with your knuckle.

1 comment: