Sunday, January 3, 2016
Whole Wheat Artisan Bread No Sugar
Whole Wheat Artisan Bread - No Sugar
1.5 c warm water (about 110 degrees - and yes, I test mine with a thermometer)
1/2 tbsp + 3/4 tsp dry, active yeast (or instant yeast works here as well)
3/4 tsp salt
1.75 c whole wheat flour
1.5 c all purpose flour
1. Place all ingredients into a large lidded bowl or container.
2. Mix with a wooden spoon to combine.
3. Place lid on somewhat loosely to allow gases from the yeast to escape. Place somewhere warm to rise for 2 hours.
4. Shape the dough, and place on lightly floured parchment paper. Cover and allow to rest for 40 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place baking sheet (I used a baking stone) in oven at this time as well to warm up. Also put in an oven safe dish of water to create steam.
6. With a serrated knife make a few slashes across the loaf. Place the loaf on the parchment paper onto your hot baking sheet/pan/stone and into the oven.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes. The bread is done when the crust is golden, and it sounds hollow when you tap it with your knuckle.
Posted by Karin at 3:41 PM