Wednesday, September 16, 2015
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup (as seen on the Girl Who Ate Everything Blog)
9 cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 & 1/3 cups carrots, chopped
1 & 1/3 cups onions, chopped finely
1 cup celery, chopped - I was out of celery; I just omitted
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
2 & 1/2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
2 teaspoons salt
1 rotisserie-cooked chicken, shredded (about 3 cups)
8 ounces orzo pasta, uncooked (about 1 & 1/2 cups) - I was out and used Anchellini instead
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice - definitely use freshly squeezed ... makes all the difference!
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely cracked
1. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or large pot.
2. Add the carrot, onion, celery, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, lemon zest and salt. Saute ingredients over medium heat until vegetables begin to soften.
3. Add the chicken stock and lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
4. Add the chicken and orzo. Simmer until orzo is cooked through.
5. Just before serving add parsley and remove bay leaf. Garnish with salt and black pepper if needed.