Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup

My mom was here visiting this last week ... what a joy and a treat to have her here, even if it was just for a couple of days. While she was here, the temperature took a little dip and Fall is definitely in the air (insert happy dance: my favorite season!!!). For her last night here, I wanted to make a special dinner and it began with this soup. I had chicken cooking in the crockpot all day, so it was falling off the bone and ready to be shredded. I ran across this recipe for Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup on the Girl Who Ate Everything blog. I made a few minor modifications (as in, I was out of orzo but already in the middle of making the soup!!!), and away we went! The soup was delicious, hearty, warm, citrus-y and just lovely. This one's a keeper.

Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup (as seen on the Girl Who Ate Everything Blog)
Ingredients:
9 cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 & 1/3 cups carrots, chopped
1 & 1/3 cups onions, chopped finely
1 cup celery, chopped - I was out of celery; I just omitted
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
2 & 1/2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
2 teaspoons salt
1 rotisserie-cooked chicken, shredded (about 3 cups)
8 ounces orzo pasta, uncooked (about 1 & 1/2 cups) - I was out and used Anchellini instead
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice - definitely use freshly squeezed ... makes all the difference!
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely cracked

1. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or large pot.

2. Add the carrot, onion, celery, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, lemon zest and salt. Saute ingredients over medium heat until vegetables begin to soften.

3. Add the chicken stock and lemon juice. Bring to a boil.

4. Add the chicken and orzo. Simmer until orzo is cooked through.

5. Just before serving add parsley and remove bay leaf. Garnish with salt and black pepper if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment