Thursday, February 16, 2012

Italian Wedding Soup



I LOVE Italian Wedding Soup! When Safeway has theirs out, I always get some. I've even buy Progresso's version, which is nothing to scream about, but the flavor profile is almost there. There are a million variations of this soup, so I made my own today for lunch. I'm sick, you see, and soup is always welcome when the throat is screaming in pain. This is a modified version of a recipe I found on food.com.

Italian Wedding Soup
Ingredients:
1 lb ground chicken (you could use lean ground beef or ground turkey)
2 eggs , slightly beaten
10 tablespoons breadcrumbs
2 tablespoon parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning (or a combination of basil and oregano)
1 teaspoon onion powder
4 cups chicken broth (low-sodium)
4 cups beef broth (low-sodium)
4 cups water
4 cups escarole, spinach, kale, chard or other sturdy greens
1 cup orzo pasta , uncooked
grated parmesan cheese for topping

1. In medium bowl combine, meat, egg,bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, basil& onion powder; shape into 3/4" balls.

2. In large sauce pan, heat broth to boiling; stir in greens, orzo & meatballs.

3. Return to boil;reduce heat to medium.

4. Cook at slow boil for 10 minutes or until orzo is tender.

5. Stir frequently to avoid sticking.

6. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

Fast, easy, and delightful. I used low-sodium broth and added salt to taste so I controlled the sodium, which in soups can be very high.

I served this with Irish Soda Bread biscuits. Yum.


No comments:

Post a Comment