Thursday, February 16, 2012

Irish Soda-Bread Biscuits




As you know, my favorite holiday of the year, St. Patrick's Day, is rapidly approaching. I'm already planning my menu, and I do that by testing recipes to see if they are good enough to make an appearance on my table on March 17. The Food Network Magazine for the month of March had a recipe for soda-bread biscuits that I thought looked interesting. Normally, I make large, round loaves of Irish soda-bread, but the idea of biscuits intrigued me, so I thought I'd whip up a batch to go with my Italian Wedding Soup. The recipe calls for raisins or currants and caraway seeds, but I didn't have either on hand, so I made these biscuits without those. I'm eager to try the recipe with those additions as soon as I can gather them at the store.

I'm delighted with these mini versions. Mine were not as puffy as the picture, so next time, I'll not flatten down the dough quite as much, as much of the charm of soda-bread comes from the lovely dome shape. But these were fast (less than 5 minutes to prepare, and only 15 minutes to cook), fragrant, and were HEAVENLY with Irish butter and honey. I'd say, they will definitely be present in the Larsen household on St. Patrick's Day!

Irish Soda-Bread Biscuits
Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp kosher salt
2 tbs cold butter, diced
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1 tbs caraway seeds (optional)
3/4 cup buttermilk
**Remember, if you don't have buttermilk on hand, 3/4 cup milk with 3/4 tsp vinegar or lemon juice - let sit for 5 minutes, then stir, and you have buttermilk!**

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a food processor (or by hand in a bowl).
3. Cut in the butter, or pulse in the food processor.
4. Add the raisins and caraway seeds.
5. Add the buttermilk and pulse or mix until a dough forms.
6. Pat out the dough until 1 inch thick, cut into four to six rounds.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Serve with Irish butter and honey and prepare to melt into your chair!

1 comment:

  1. oh man.....I want these so bad, but I don't want to make them. grrrr...the joys of pregnancy! Thanks for making my mouth water ;o)

    ReplyDelete