Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Ground Beef Gyros



Do you ever get bored of cooking with ground beef or ground turkey? I do. Sometimes I get stuck with the same old hamburgers, tacos, meatloaf, spaghetti, etc. And while they are all good, I yearn for different flavors. So last night, I went recipe hunting to find the perfect recipe for ground beef that would make it taste a little unlike itself and more like something else! And I found it, thanks to food.com. I had most of these items in my kitchen already, but made a quick trip to the grocery store this morning for the yogurt and pitas.

These ground beef gyros were AMAZING! I mean, really amazing! And my kids gobbled them up! I had to stop them from eating it all so Andy would have leftovers for tomorrow. This was a quick fix as well, and I did a lot of the prep work ahead of time so the actual cooking time was minimal.

Ground Beef Gyros
Ingredients:
1 (8 ounce) container plain yogurt
1/3 cup chopped seeded cucumber
2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
1 garlic clove , minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 lb lean ground beef
1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 teaspoon pepper
4 pita breads
3 cups shredded lettuce
1 large tomato , chopped
1 small onion , chopped
1 small avocado, chopped (my addition)

1. In a bowl, combine first 5 ingredients. Cover and refrigerate. You can do this step early in the day.


2. In separate bowl, combine ground beef and seasonings. Mix well. Shape into 4 -5 patties. **I did this a couple of hours before cooking time and covered them and put them in the refrigerator to rest.**


3. Grill, covered, (you can also use a toaster oven or broil these) over medium to high heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, turning once.

4. Cut patties into thin slices.

5. Stuff into pitas.

6. Add lettuce, tomato, onion and avocado.





7. Serve with yogurt sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment