Thursday, December 1, 2011

Dijon Butter Sauce


Tonight I made some frozen ravioli that Andy bought from the store that looked promising. Problem was, the ravioli didn't come with a sauce! I didn't have any bottled sauce in my pantry, and the ravioli was already cooking. What to do?

When Andy and I first got married, we received a cookbook called, Monday to Friday Pasta by Michele Urvater. Over the years, I have used this book for a million different recipes, so I pulled it out and looked for a quick pasta sauce I could make in 5 minutes or less, and guess what? I found one - actually, I totally hit the jackpot.

Now, this sauce is not for the feint of heart. It's butter and cream based, so it's high in fat and calories, but a little goes a long way, and you could use half-n-half instead of cream and save a few calories, but not many. But, if you're looking for a delicious, rich, but not overwhelming sauce, that you can whip up in a mere moment, this is the sauce for you.

Dijon Butter Sauce
Ingredients:
1.5 tbs Dijon mustard (I like the whole grain kind)
3 tbs light or heavy cream
2 tsp dried thyme, rosemary or tarragon
3 tbs butter, at room temperature
Salt and freshly ground pepper

1. In a small mixing bowl, mash the mustard, cream and herbs together with a wooden spoon. Then stir in the butter, mashing it into the cream mixture.

2. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss with freshly cooked hot pasta and a little pasta water.

THAT'S IT! I'm not kidding! It's sooooo good!

No comments:

Post a Comment