Sunday, August 23, 2015

Strawberry Shortcake Scones

I had some strawberries in the fridge, and while I could eat strawberries plain any day, I wanted to make something a little different. I've had this recipe sitting out on my buffet for a while wanting to give it a shot, so I finally took the plunge. I gotta say - while making these, I was a little concerned they weren't going to turn out well. The dough seemed a little gummy and getting those strawberries to blend into the dough took a little work. But it was worth it. These are delicious. I have been eating them warm with a little dollop of mango/pineapple compote on them. And they are perfect with a cup of tea. This recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens.

Strawberry Shortcake Scones
Ingredients:
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
2 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1/4 cup whipping cream
Whipping cream
Coarse sugar

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl, toss together strawberries and 1 tablespoon flour. In a large bowl combine the 2 1/2 cups flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center of the flour mixture; set aside. (I did this in my food processor.)

2. In a medium bowl combine the egg, ricotta, and 1/4 cup whipping cream. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Add strawberries. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.

3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat dough into a 10x4-inch rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise and in sixths crosswise to make 12 rectangles.

4. Place rectangles 2 inches apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush with additional whipping cream. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake about 16 minutes or until golden brown. Remove scones from baking sheet. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment