Saturday, January 24, 2015

Pre-Workout Energy Muffins - via Running on Veggies

Kara Goucher, a top notch women's elite runner and a running hero of mine, has been referencing recipes from a website called Running on Veggies. Today, I checked them out and ran across this muffin recipe. This is super because they are easily modified based on what you have or want to put in it. I'm re-posting the recipe from their website, but I used blueberries instead of apples, and I didn't have Maca, so I didn't use that. I'm currently out of almond milk, so I used non-fat milk. My batch made 15 regular muffins, and they are quite tasty. I'm already planning the next batch.

Pre-Workout Energy Muffins
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups of oats
1/4 cup ground flaxseeds ( do not use whole flaxseeds)
3 tablespoons of Maca ( you can omit, but I love this superfood great for energy and endurance)
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 teaspoons of baking powder
Wet:
3 ripe bananas
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (any non-dairy milk can work)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 apple pealed and cubed
optional
8 teaspoons unsweetened fruit jam
1 cup sliced strawberries

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Grind oats in a food processor until you get a “flour”- such as oat flour. Add the rest of your dry in ingredients. Then add Wet ingredients, (besides apple) into the food processor making sure your bananas are mashed!

2. Once everything is combined, fold in your apple that is cubed (pears may work, or blueberries whatever you like). You can omit this step but it takes the muffin to another level!

3. In a muffin pan, scoop a tablespoon worth of batter into the mold, then take a teaspoon worth of jelly fill the middle with jelly and a slice of strawberry. Then cover with more batter around a tablespoons worth. top with strawberry. Bake for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment