Sunday, February 23, 2014

Carrot Applesauce Whole Wheat Muffins

My friend Brita and I email pretty regularly. We talk a lot about the food we're preparing for the week ahead. She mentioned that she was making the 100 Days of Real Food Carrot Applesauce Muffins. The thought intrigued me, so I went to the website, found the recipe and decided to make them myself. I'm so glad she told me about these. They are delightful! Moist, sweet, but not overly sweet, tender, delicious, and Andy and the boys gobbled them up asking for more. Nice. This will definitely be a staple in our house. I've linked to the 100 Days of Real Food site above, or here's the exact recipe below. My batch made 12 normal muffins and eight mini muffins.

Carrot Applesauce Whole Wheat Muffins (Recipe from 100 Days of Real Food)
Ingredients:
1.5 cups whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened (but not melted)
1/2 cup honey
1 egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup carrot shreds

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper, foil, or silicone liners, and set aside.

2. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.

3. In a large bowl fitted with an electric whisk (or beaters), mix the butter, honey, egg and vanilla together on medium speed. Turn the speed down and slowly add in the flour mixture until well combined. The batter will be fairly thick at this point.

4. Using a spatula, carefully fold in the applesauce and carrots. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake for 22 to 24 minutes or until a toothpick comes and muffins are beginning to turn golden brown on top. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. These are so good. I substituted maple syrup for honey so T could nibble on some. Already decided that I'll probably make this as his 1st B day smash cake and whip up some frosting for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We totally talked about using this for a cake! It's so good because it doesn't have that much sweetener, but it's surprisingly sweet, but not over-sweet!

    ReplyDelete