Doughnut Muffins, which we all thoroughly enjoyed. But my friend Tori sent me a recipe for baked doughnuts that I thought I'd try. That recipe is for a spiced pumpkin doughnut, something Andy and I would enjoy, but probably not my boys. So, I rounded up a recipe for a more basic doughnut and gave them a whirl. These were fast and easy, and they are delicious. My boys have devoured their allotted two (one of each kind) for the evening already and told me that I should market them at Safeway. Silly boys. These aren't good for you...what doughnut is? But they are better than fried doughnuts and are about 101 calories a piece. I'm thinking this recipe is a keeper. It is inspired by a recipe I found on The Faux Martha blog.
Baked Doughnut Holes
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp. lemon juice
3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. nutmeg, fresh
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. honey
1 large egg
1 tbs. vanilla extract
5 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1/4 c. pure cane sugar
1 tbs. cinnamon
1/4 c. powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, mix together milk and lemon juice. Let sit for 5 minutes to curdle. Melt butter in a small bowl and set aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sea salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Set aside.
Into the cooled butter, whisk in sugar, honey, egg, and vanilla until combined. Add in milk/lemon juice combo.
4. Whisk together wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Over-mixing will create a dense doughnut.
Spray mini muffin tin pan. Evenly distribute batter. (This makes 20 doughnuts.)
5. Bake for 9 minutes. Allow to cool at least 1 minute before removing from tin and placing on a cooling rack to cool completely.
6. Meanwhile, make topping. Melt butter. In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon and sugar. In a separate bowl, add in powdered sugar.
7. Dip each doughnut hole in butter before either coating in the cinnamon/sugar mixture or powdered sugar mixture (10 of each). Place back on cooling rack until dried.