Saturday, July 13, 2013

Fried Avocado Tacos from "A Cozy Kitchen"

Three out of the four of us LOVE avocados in my house. When I saw this recipe on A Cozy Kitchen (an AWESOME cooking blog!!!), I freaked out! Fried. Avocado. Tacos. It's got all my favorite things: avocados, cotija cheese, limes, radishes and tortillas. Simple, streamlined, beautiful tacos...hook me up. I'm not a big fryer, but these little guys don't need long in the oil. I flash-fried them in sunflower oil, literally 20 seconds on each side, put them on a paper towel-lined plate, salted them and let them drain off. A Cozy Kitchen recommended corn tortillas, which I would highly agree, but I didn't have any, so we used whole-wheat flax seed tortillas instead. Tasty to be sure, but I will get some corn tortillas for the next time we have these. And we will have these again.

Fried Avocado Tacos via A Cozy Kitchen
Ingredients:

For the Avocados:
Vegetable Oil (I used sunflower oil)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
4 firm-ripe avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced into 1/2-inch wedges

For the Tacos:
Corn or flour tortillas
Radishes, sliced and diced
Cotija cheese, crumbled
Lime

1. In a medium skillet, add enough oil until it reaches about an inch up the sides. Heat the oil until it reads 375 degrees F on a deep-fry thermometer. Line a baking sheet with a bed of paper towels and set aside.

2. While the oil is heating up, place the flour, egg and panko in separate bowls. Add the salt to the panko and mix. Dip the avocado slices in the flour, shaking off any excess. Transfer them to the egg, then the panko and coat thoroughly. Repeat process until you’ve coated all of the avocado slices.

3. Gently place the avocado slices in the hot oil, being sure not overcrowd the skillet, and fry until golden brown, about 30 to 60 seconds on each side. Transfer them to the bed of paper towels.

4. To assemble tacos, place a few pieces of fried avocado in the center of a tortilla. Top with cotija cheese, radishes. Just make sure to include a squeeze of fresh lime juice. That’s a must!

No comments:

Post a Comment