Monday, April 29, 2013

Sausage and Onion Stir Fry


I need a wok. Andy and I have talked about this for a couple of months now, but it became painfully obvious today as I tried to stir fry onions, peppers, sausage and rice in a 12" skillet. It just didn't work quite as well as a trusty wok would have. We had one when we were first married, but I have no idea what happened to it in the almost 16 years since then. Time to get shopping. In the meantime, my trusty skillet will have to fit the bill when the urge for stir-fry strikes.

Andy and I are trying to slowly carb up this week for our marathon on Sunday. That means a bit more carbs than I normally have at dinner time. I defrosted some Italian sausages, sliced them up thinly, pulled out some green and purple bell peppers that I'd frozen from last summer and sliced up an onion to slowly saute. I cooked up some brown rice and added a small bit of dark sesame oil and some sesame seeds to tie the whole thing together. The result was a tasty stir fry that met my carb-loading needs and satisfied my kiddos and I to boot!

Sausage and Onion Stir Fry
Ingredients:
4 links of sausage, sliced thinly (I used pre-cooked Italian sausage)
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
1 cup sliced bell peppers
2 cups brown rice, cooked
1-2 tsp dark sesame oil
1-2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp sesame seeds
Worcestershire sauce
Tamari or soy sauce

1. In a wok (!!) over medium-high heat, heat the olive and sesame oils until they are shimmering. Add the onions and peppers and saute until just starting to get some color.

2. Add the sausage and cook until they start to brown. Add a splash of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and mix thoroughly.

3. Add the rice to the pan or wok and mix thoroughly. Add a little more soy or Worcestershire, if needed, and top with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment