Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Avocado, Bruschetta and Havarti Chicken with a Balsamic Reduction


My sister-in-law posted a recipe she saw on line for Avocado, Mozzarella and Bruschetta Chicken on Facebook the other day. It looked amazing, so I earmarked it and promised myself to make it. Tonight, it was just Micah and I, and I thought, ooh, I think I have all the ingredients! Well, not quite, but close! I didn't have mozzarella, but I did have Havarti, so I subbed out the cheese and made my own bruschetta. I also was running low on my standard balsamic vinegar, but I had white balsamic vinegar, so while the picture isn't quite as dramatic as the original, the taste was OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD!!! People, this recipe is DIVINE! You have to try it. Like tonight. It's that good. Where did the original come from? From a cute little blog called Iowa Girl Eats. Check her stuff out - it's yummy looking and the link above is to her original recipe.

Avocado, Bruschetta and Havarti Chicken with a Balsamic Reduction
Ingredients:
1 cup balsamic vinegar (I used white balsamic vinegar)
4 chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness
extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper
1/2 cup pre-made bruschetta topping
1 avocado, sliced
4 slices of havarti cheese (or mozzarella)

1. Pour balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan then bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium then simmer and reduce until vinegar is thick enough to coat a spoon, about 20 minutes. (Vinegar will continue to thicken while cooling.) Set aside to cool.

2. Place oven rack in top position then preheat broiler. Brush chicken breasts with extra virgin olive oil then season with salt and pepper on both sides. Brush a large skillet over medium-high heat with oil then add chicken breasts and cook for 4-5 minutes a side, or until no longer pink in the center.

3. Transfer chicken to a foil-lined, nonstick-sprayed baking sheet then top with 2 Tablespoons bruschetta mixture, 3-4 slices avocado, and 1 slice of cheese each. Broil until cheese has melted and serve with the balsamic vinegar reduction drizzled over it.



My white balsamic vinegar reduction.

2 comments:

  1. Bruschetta is my absolute favorite!!! Joey's dad makes the best. I saw something like this on Pinterest the other day, but I haven't had time to make it. It does look good....I can't wait for my tomatoes to grow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get my tomatoes planted! After the marathon...

    ReplyDelete