Saturday, October 20, 2012

Buckwheat-Blueberry Muffins



Have you ever had Buckwheat waffles or pancakes? I LOVE the flavor buckwheat flour provides to dishes! So when I saw it in the bulk foods section the other day at the natural foods store, I just about leapt at it, getting some into my cart as quickly as I could. Now for the recipes...I found one in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine I got called Good & Fresh for blueberry muffins. These turned out well, but they are quite dense. Next time, I'll use whole wheat pastry flour rather than plain whole wheat flour mixed with my buckwheat flour and AP flour. I'm hoping that will lighten it up a bit.

This recipe does call for butternut squash. What? I know, but it adds texture and sweetness without adding extra sugar. I peeled and cut up a butternut squash into chunks and roasted for 30 minutes in a 450 degree oven with about 2 tsp of olive oil and salt.

Also, take note! These spoil quickly! So, put them in the fridge to keep...not on the counter in a plastic container, like I did! Oops! But while we did have them, Andy and I enjoyed them thoroughly. They are only about 145 calories a piece, and very, very filling. A great snack or a good breakfast. And you can use fresh or frozen blueberries.

Buckwheat-Blueberry Muffins
Ingredients:
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour (will try whole wheat pastry flour next time)
2/3 cup AP flour
1/4 cup sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup mashed butternut squash
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1/2 tsp finely shredded orange peel
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tbs vegetable oil
3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1-2 tbs regular rolled oats

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat twelve muffin cups with cooking spray or oil. (My batch made 15 muffins.) In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center; set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, squash, milk, orange peel, orange juice, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir until just moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in blueberries.

3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each almost full. Sprinkle with oats. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers of muffins comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment