Monday, March 26, 2012

Oh no! I forgot to thaw my chicken!

Doesn't this happen to all of us? I had the best of intentions yesterday to sit down and plan my menu for the week, but the day just seemed to skip on past me, and I never did it. However, I did get as far as reminding myself that I wanted to make something in the crock pot for Monday. As a result, when I woke up today, I realized that I hadn't thawed the chicken for my crock pot delight tonight (say that three times fast)! What to do? I looked in my pantry, saw some of the old staples and few favorites, and mixed it up for a culinary delight. NOTE: this dish is ugly, hence no picture. The artichokes actually give the mixture a bit of a greenish tint - not at all what I usually like to see in my chicken, but the taste was fabulous!

Artichoke and Water Chestnut Chicken
Ingredients:
4 frozen chicken breasts
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can artichoke hearts, diced up into chunks, or pureed in a food processor
1 can water chestnuts, chopped or minced in a food processor
1/4 cup nonfat milk
Salt and pepper
Minced onion

1. Put the frozen chicken in the crock pot. In a separate bowl, mix the soups, artichokes, water chestnuts, milk, salt and pepper and minced onion (to taste).

2. Pour over the chicken and mix the chicken around, ensuring each piece gets coated with the mixture. It will be thick.

3. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

4. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment