Friday, December 30, 2011

Bacon, Leek and Onion Tartlets





Tomorrow night, we're heading over to a friend's house to ring in the New Year!! We're bringing dessert (the super moist chocolate cake), and some fun snacks to chomp on as the night progresses. I've rediscovered my Cat Cora cookbook called Cooking From the Hip. While looking through it, I found this recipe for these Onion and Leek Tartlets that looked amazing. I had all the ingredients on hand, so I decided to make these for tomorrow night. I added bacon to mine, because everything is better with bacon. Am I right? Boy, did they turn out yummy! I was supposed to be bringing 15 of them tomorrow night, but let's just say that only 13 will be making the trip. :)

These were super fast and easy to make. And way better tasting than the ones you buy in the frozen section of the grocery store. I highly encourage you trying to make these.

Leek and Onion Tartlets
Ingredients:
1 tbs unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped well-cleaned leeks (white and light green parts only)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup light cream (I used half-n-half)
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (my addition)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg (fresh please)
30 prebaked frozen miniature phyllo shells (you get these in the frozen section); not thawed

**Note, I only had one package, but I made the same filling and just really filled my tartlets up. But the above recipe would certainly be enough for 30 mini shells.

1. Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks and onion and stir constantly. Cook until soft, 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in another pan until crispy. Remove the bacon and the leeks and onions from heat and set aside to cool.

3. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir the cooled onion and bacon mixture into the egg mixture. Divide among the tartlet shells. Place the tarts on a baking sheet and bake until the custard sets, 10-15 minutes. **Mine took about 17 minutes because they were so full.

4. Serve the tartlets warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment