Thursday, September 22, 2011

Super Moist Chocolate Cake


I know I just posted about weight loss, and now I'm posting about chocolate cake? WHAT? But, I have to tell you about this cake. Micah and Nathan love chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, chocolate ice cream and pretty much anything chocolate. Andy and I love dark chocolate, but neither of us are crazy about chocolate cake or chocolate frosting, with the notable exception of Texas Sheet Cake. However, I got a new magazine through the mail called Cuisine at Home, and the last recipe in the magazine was for an Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake with Glossy Chocolate Icing. The picture was incredible, and as I was craving something chocolaty, I decided to whip it up.

Boy, am I glad I did. This is the moistest chocolate cake I've ever had, and the frosting is tangy, rich and thick. I made the cake in a 9X13 pan, rather than a layer cake, so I could cut really small pieces (it is SOOOOO rich) and monitor my calories. Andy has gone on and on about how good this cake is, and the boys, well, let's just say, the cake doesn't last long on the plate. Best of all, this cake was so easy to make and so fast. So without further ado, here it is.

Chocolate Cake
Ingredients:
3 cups AP flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp table salt
2 cups hot water
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tbs white vinegar
1 tbs instant coffee granules (brings out the chocolate flavor)
1 tbs vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 with the rack in the center. Grease two 8X2 inch round cake pans, or one 9X13 glass pan.

2. Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.

3. Combine water, oil, vinegar, instant coffee and vanilla in a large measuring cup. Add to the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined - a few lumps are okay. Divide batter between pans (if using two pans), or pour into one 9X13 pan, and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Cool cakes on a rack for 15 minutes, then invert onto the rack. Leave cake upside down (this flattens domed cakes) to cool completely.

Glossy Chocolate Icing
Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter (8 tbs)
1.5 cups sugar
1.25 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
1.25 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 sour cream (I was out and used 1/4 cup yogurt)
1 tsp instant coffee granules
2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.

2. Stir in sugar, cocoa and salt. Mixture will be thick and grainy.

3. Combine heavy cream, sour cream (or yogurt), and instant coffee in a large measuring cup, mixing until smooth. Gradually add cream mixture to chocolate until blended and smooth. Cook until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth and hot to the touch, 6-8 minutes. Do not boil.

4. Off heat, add vanilla. Cool icing at room temperature until spreadable (2-3 hours), or chill completely in refrigerator and just reheat gently in the microwave (a little at a time, stirring) in 20 second intervals.

5. Ice cooled cake. Cut into pieces. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word, my mouth is watering :) can you say yum to the yum to the yum yum!!!

    ReplyDelete