Monday, November 14, 2011

Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup




My friend Brita emailed me the other day and in the course of the email, she mentioned she was making this soup. It sounded so yummy, I went out and found the recipe, shopped for the ingredients this weekend, and made it today.

The original recipe calls for zucchini, but it's a little late in the season for zucchini around here, so I used peas instead. But I will make this again nearer the summer season, because I bet it's really yummy with zucchini. However, the peas were quite tasty! This recipe comes from onceamonthmom.com. She says it serves six, but I'm telling you, this serves 10. This a lot of soup. I did lighten this up by using chicken Italian sausage. I also used whole wheat cheese tortellini.

This is perfect for our cool, fall evenings.

Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
Ingredients:
1 lb Italian sausage (I used 12 oz. chicken Italian sausage)
1 cup onion, chopped
2 tsp garlic, minced
5 cups beef stock
2 cups tomatoes, chopped
8 oz tomato sauce
2 cups zucchini, sliced (I used 10 oz. frozen peas)
1/2 cup carrot, chopped finely
1.5 cups red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 tbs basil, dried
1 tbs oregano, dried
10 oz. tortellini, cheese-stuffed (I used a 9 oz. pkg of whole wheat cheese tortellini)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
2 tbs olive oil (if you are using chicken Italian sausage)

1. Saute Italian sausage in heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat until cooked through, about 10 minutes. **Because I used chicken Italian sausage, it doesn't have much fat in it, so I added 1 tbs olive oil when cooking my sausage.** Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl. Pour off all but 1 tbs drippings. Add onion and garlic to Dutch oven and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. **I didn't have any drippings, so I added 1 more tbs olive oil to the onions and garlic.**

2. Return sausage to Dutch oven. Add stock, tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, carrot, bell pepper, wine, basil and oregano. **If using peas, do not add them yet.** Simmer until veggies are tender, about 40 minutes. Add peas and cook for 3 minutes. Add the tortellini to boiling soup and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Shred Parmesan on top and serve.

Again - for me, this is about 10 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment