Friday, October 7, 2011

Green Bean Salad


While sitting in the endodontist's chair having a root canal performed on my #15 tooth, I happened to catch an episode of Down Home with the Neelys on the Food Network. You know, in my spare time. Anyhow, they were making a green bean salad that looked downright tasty, and then I remembered that I had received a bag of fresh green beans in our CSA box this week. I mentally made a note to look up the recipe when I got home, although it was so easy, I pretty much remembered it by heart. Tonight I whipped up Gina Neely's salad, and it was mighty tasty.

Green Bean Salad (courtesy of Down Home with the Neelys)
Ingredients:
1.5 lb of fresh green beans, stemmed
2 shallots, sliced thin
6 slices deli ham, diced
1/4 cup slivered almonds
2 teaspoons freshly chopped dill leaves (I left out the dill - not a fan)
1 lemon, zested and juiced
3 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, over medium heat, add the beans and blanch for 3 minutes. Remove from water and shock in an ice bath.

2. Drain, pat dry and add to a large serving bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and toss.

**A note...I only used half the lemon juice and that was plenty zesty. I also toasted my almonds, and the flavor was not overwhelming. These beans could totally stand up to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment