Sunday, October 9, 2011

1st Attempt at Butchering a Chicken

In an effort to save money on the grocery bill, we've started buying whole chickens a little more often. You can roast them whole, put them in the crockpot, etc. In fact, tomorrow, I'm cooking a Tarragon Chicken in the crockpot, but the recipe called for the chicken to be broken down., I pulled out my bird, sharpened my knife and went to town. This is the results of my first attempt. Pretty decent I think...the wings got tossed. I'm not a wing girl myself - they came off okay, but getting the skin off was a bear and there just wasn't enough meat to make it worth it. But what you see are two puny thighs (not the chicken's fault - that was the butcher), two breasts and the tenderloins and two legs. I did de-bone everything which took a bit more time. I'm hoping I'll get better as I go. It took me about 10 minutes to do this. Hoping I can get it down to less than 5. We'll see.


  1. this cracks me up....I would have butchered the thing. I am quite impressed, Karin ;o)

  2. I'm still laughing over your pun, Bex..."I would have butchered the thing" - he he!!