Thursday, August 25, 2011

Chicken Ragu



I got my most recent Good Housekeeping (September) and saw a recipe for a Linguine with Carrot-Turkey Ragu. It sounded really good, but I've been eating tons of carrots lately and wasn't interested having carrots in my pasta, but the ragu sounded interesting, so I made some changes and here was the result. It's super yummy and my kiddos gobbled it right up. I served it over organic whole wheat fusilli pasta, but it would be good over rice, potatoes or even on its own.

Chicken Ragu
Ingredients:
Salt and pepper
2 tbs olive oil
1 large leek, white and light green parts only, sliced and well-rinsed
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 lb. ground chicken breast
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
Garlic salt
Dried basil
Dried sage
1/8 cup sugar
Fresh basil, sliced thinly
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. In a large skillet, heat oil on medium high. Add leek, celery, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until just tender, stirring occasionally.

2. Add chicken, cook 4 minutes or until meat loses its pink color, stirring and breaking into small pieces. Stir in cinnamon, cook 2 minutes.



Meat and veggies cooking away...


Add garlic salt, dried basil, dried sage and sugar. Stir in tomatoes. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to simmer 15 minutes, stirring.

This was the right amount of spice, flavor and tang. I'm not a big red sauce fan. I almost never eat it, but this, I will make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment