Sunday, April 3, 2011

6.6 is the magic number

On my way to training for the Rock 'n' Roll 1/2 marathon in June, we're slowly creeping up the mileage. I've been running 5Ks for three months now and run my next one next week. I have a 10K in May (6.2 miles) and then the 1/2 in June. So, this weekend was my first "long" run...well, it was long for me. We were supposed to run 6.5 miles. Andy mapped out a little trail for us down in Orting and Brita came down and the three of us headed out. Our trail was actually 6.6. We ran with Andy for the first six minutes and then he took off, as his plan is to run the entire 1/2 while Brita and I will run/walk it. So, we run for 6 minutes, then walk for 1. Run for 6, walk for 1. We did this the whole way through with 3-4 of our 1 minute recovery times turning into 2 minute recovery times. All in all, we ran about 5.5 miles and walked about 1.1. This is the most she or I have ever run. My legs felt like jelly all last night and I was so tired that I went to bed at 8:45 but man, oh man, did we feel good!!!!

I can't believe we made it. We have a 5K this coming Sunday (church on Saturday night), and then the next weekend we go for 8 miles! YIKES!!!

Pray for me people - 8 miles??? And I'm still 85 lbs from my goal weight! But guess what???

In the words of a Nike advertisement:

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. All your life they will say you're not good enough or talented enough. They'll say you're the wrong height or you're the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or be this or achieve this. They will tell you no a thousand times until all the no's become meaningless. All your life they will tell you no. Quite firmly and very quickly you will tell them YES"

No comments:

Post a Comment