Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Shortbread



I'm not a huge cookie fan. I like homemade chocolate chip cookies as much as the next girl, snickerdoodles are tasty and homemade sugar cookies with frosting are a delight, but other than that, I usually don't go in much for cookies. The exception to this is shortbread. I LOVE shortbread. I'm not sure if it's the butter, the flaky goodness, the subtle crunch or its golden color - maybe it's all of it!! No matter, I'm a sucker for a good shortbread. Tonight, I needed some shortbread. My Irish cookbook came to the rescue. This is super easy, super quick and super delicious!!

Shortbread
Ingredients:

2.5 cups AP flour
1/4 ground almonds
6 tbs superfine sugar
1 cup butter, softened (I used Irish butter)
1-2 tsp almond extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Combine the flour, almonds, sugar and butter in a food processor. Pulse until combined.

3. Take out of the food processor and put into a oiled (I used Pam) jelly roll or sheet pan (I used a 1/4 sheet pan). Press into the pan and even out.



4. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

5. When you remove from the oven, immediately cut the shortbread into desired slices, while the shortbread is soft. (It will be soft and you might think it's not quite cooked - it is. It will harden after sitting for a few minutes.)

6. When cooled, store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Enjoy alone or with some lemon curd and tea!! YUM!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I also love shortbread. I think, if left alone, I would eat an entire batch of it in one sitting with a gigantic glass of non-fat milk (I have to save on calories where I can). YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know sister golden hair divine! I thought of you when I made it!!!

    ReplyDelete