Friday, February 18, 2011

The Perfect Soft-Boiled Egg


I am, unashamedly, a connoisseur of eggs. If you've read previous posts, you know my long-term love for these little guys. I often will cook 6-7 hard or soft boiled eggs over the weekend and keep them in the fridge for a quick protein snack during the week. I've used a ton of different methods for cooking hard and soft boiled eggs (boil the water, add the eggs and put the lid on and cut the heat and leave for 10 minutes; start the eggs in the water and bring to a boil and cook for 10-12 minutes, etc...). But Jamie Oliver has the perfect method for the best soft-boiled egg I've ever had.

Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Salt the water. Gently add eggs. For large hen eggs, cook for 8 minutes on the heat. When time is up, remove eggs from heat and immediately put them in ice water. Peel and ENJOY!

The yolk is soft and runny, but the white is fully cooked and it is just PERFECTION!! Jamie Oliver - I salute you!!!

3 comments:

  1. ok, this is going to sound as if I am clueless, but....what is the difference between soft boiled and hard boiled? I love deviled eggs ;-) Got a good recipe for those???

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Becca, a hard boiled egg is cooked longer. You would find the yolk to be a light yellow and it would pop easily out of the white part of the egg. Easter eggs are typically hard boiled. Soft boiled eggs are softer in the middle, like the picture above, and the white is softer, but still cooked. It's all preference. I prefer soft boiled eggs, but hard boiled eggs are good too! I do have a good recipe for deviled eggs. I will post this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :-) The picture wasn't coming up the first time, but I see the difference now. Can you believe I have NEVER had a soft boiled egg! Joey hasn't either! Where have we been??? It's like my dear friend, Lauren, who moved here from Nashville and had never heard of or tried chicken fried steak! Who she be? Crazy!! Joey and I love sunny side up eggs so I bet that we would love the softer middle :-) Can't wait for the deciles eggs recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete