Thursday, February 24, 2011

Italian take on meatballs


I've posted my baked meatball recipe before and normally I use ground turkey, but today I wanted to do something a little different. I used lean ground beef and gave these little beauties an Italian twist. They were out of this world! They were reminiscent of the flavor of Italian sausage...the fennel, coriander and garlic...yum!! So, here's a new twist on an old favorite.

Karin's Baked Italian-Style Meatballs
Ingredients:
1.5 lb. lean ground beef
2 eggs
1.5 tbs. garlic salt
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup non-fat milk
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbs pepper
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp coriander seed, crushed
1 tsp fennel seed

1. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
2. Mix all ingredients in bowl.
3. Make meatballs.
4. Spray pan with Pam.
5. Cook for 12-15 minutes.

Makes 35 meatballs (about 69 calories per meatball).

I paired these delightful meatballs with some whole grain rice and steamed veggies (corn, carrots, peas and beans). It was a delicious, lower calorie meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment