Saturday, February 19, 2011

Deviled Eggs

By request, today I'm posting my deviled egg recipe. My mom was the only one, other than me, who would eat these, so I made them for she and I when I lived at home during college. But I really haven't made them lately, so thanks Becca, for asking for them! They are delicious and a hearken back to back to my younger years!!

Now, before I post this, I'll just say right off - I am not a fancy deviled egg maker. I don't like the super stiff filling that is piped out of a bag and looks all perfect in the egg but then tastes like chalk. I like a looser filling and I use a spoon to fill my little ol' eggs, and guess what? I think they taste better than any other deviled egg I've ever had. So here it goes. You can double, triple or quadruple this recipe depending on how many you are making.

Karin's Deviled Eggs
Ingredients:
3 eggs
3 tbs. mayonnaise (you can use a light mayo here to cut down on calories)
1-2 tbs. yellow mustard (this is to taste - I like mustard, so I err on the heavy side, but you can use less)
1 tbs. sweet pickle relish (or cut up a few sweet pickles and add a bit of their juice)
Salt and Pepper

*Yes, that's it! You don't need a lot of fancy ingredients to make a good deviled egg.

1. Hard boil your eggs. (Fill a pot with 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil. Add a healthy dose of salt - makes peeling easier - and gently add the eggs. You do NOT want your eggs to crack in the water. Set the timer for 11 minutes. When the timer goes off, immediately remove your eggs to a bowl of ice water. Let them sit for 3-5 minutes.)



2. Peel eggs gently.
3. Set aside on a plate to cool.
4. In a bowl, mix mayo, mustard, relish, salt and pepper.
5. Cut each egg in half, lengthwise.



6. Gently scoop out the yolk from each egg and deposit into the mayo mixture.



Here they are - YOLKLESS.

7. Use a fork to mash the yolks into your mayo mixture. Make sure it is all mixed together, but don't feel like you have to obliterate the yolks. I actually like a chunk of yolk here and there.



8. Using a spoon, spoon some of the mixture into each half egg. You want them full and just a little overflowing.
9. Enjoy right away, or if you want them to thicken a little, you can refrigerate them for 30-60 minutes and they will thicken and harden a bit, but WHO can wait that long?? YUMMMMMMMYYYYY!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yummm!! Those look like the ones my mom used to make, although she never had a recipe because she always just threw in a little of this and a little of that. I'm so excited and can't wait :-)

    ReplyDelete