Saturday, February 19, 2011

Coconut and Vanilla Pancakes



If you recall, my lovely sister Kendis bought me a new griddle for Christmas. I've been using it regularly, but she asked me to snap some pics and post the recipe for homemade pancakes the next time I made them. Tonight was the night, so here is my recipe (adapted from my Cooking Light cookbook) for Coconut and Vanilla pancakes. Yum.

Coconut and Vanilla Pancakes
Ingredients:
3/4 cup AP flour
1/3 cup coconut flour (I didn't have coconut flour, so I used AP flour)
1.5 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 & 1/4 cups non-fat coconut milk (you can find this in the dairy section, right next to regular milk)
1 tbs canola oil
1 large egg
Vanilla extract

1. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine coconut milk, canola oil, egg and vanilla (I used like 1 tbs vanilla). Mix lightly and then add to the flour mixture. Mix with a whisk. Batter will be thick.
2. Heat griddle to 350 degrees and spray with cooking spray. Ladle batter onto the griddle and cook until they bubble or start to turn brown around the edges. Flip. Continue cooking until they are done.



These are 241 calories for 2 pancakes.

*If you really like coconut, you could use coconut extract rather than vanilla extract. I confess that this is what I originally wanted to do, but realized I was out of coconut extract. You could also add shredded coconut right into the mix, but my boys aren't super crazy about it, so I left it out this time.

**You could also top this with a few pecans or walnuts before topping with syrup.

1 comment:

  1. What a gorgeous looking griddle!
    While this looks yummy, you could go the high calorie, super delicious way of Boots and Kimo (a wonderful breakfast place on Oahu) and top the pancakes with macadamia nut ice cream...oh my goodness, it is the bomb!

    ReplyDelete