Friday, January 7, 2011

Death Comes for the Archbishop


If you are looking for a book to read, I HIGHLY recommend Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather. Cather won the Pulitzer Prize for her book One of Ours, which I haven't read just yet, but it's next on my list. I picked up Death Comes for the Archbishop thinking it was the Pulitzer Prize winner. It certainly could have and in my opinion, should have been. It is one of the most beautifully written, beautifully described, simplistically woven tales of not just one, but two lives - two Catholic priests in the wilds of New Mexico, shortly after it became a part of the United States.

Cather develops Fathers Latour and Valliant so deftly, so intricately and so effortlessly that you are completely immersed in their world as 40 years unfolds slowly yet rapidly (a little like our lives, no?) throughout this book. She uncovers a depth of human feeling and emotion that I've not found in another author or in another book. I cannot recommend this book more to you. If you love to read, go to the library, check it out and engross yourself in this work of art. This will be a book I enjoy many, many times over.

No comments:

Post a Comment