Thursday, January 20, 2011

Chipotle Turkey Chili



Tonight I worked out for the first time with my brand new kettleball. If you haven't seen them before, here's what it looks like.



CUTE, HUH?

Mine came with a DVD workout and man alive...I worked muscles I didn't know I had. Whew!!! When I was done, I wanted a hearty but healthy meal, so I whipped up a batch of this Chipotle Turkey Chili. I found the recipe on a calendar, but I modified it a wee bit. This is a great version of turkey chili and one I will most definitely make again...and you can customize it to make it as spicy (or not) as you like!

Chipotle Turkey Chili
Ingredients:
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 tbs chopped garlic
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 can cannellini beans, undrained
3/4 cup chicken broth/stock
1 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
1-2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped (the more you use, the spicier it will be)
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar, but you could use Jack or a combo)



These are what chipotles look like in the can. You can find them in the Hispanic foods aisle (or the International Foods aisle).



Here's what they look like chopped up - kinda ugly, but they sure are TASTY!!!

1. In a 4-qt. saucepan, cook the onions until they are soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the turkey and cook until it is no longer pink.



2. Stir in corn, beans, broth, salt and chile(s). Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in 1/4 cup of the sour cream and 1/4 cup of the cilantro. Serve with remaining 1/4 sour cream, 1/4 cup cilantro and the cheese.

You can add whatever toppings you'd like (onions, chips, cornbread, cheese, etc...); we used sour cream, cilantro, cheese and a few crumpled tortilla chips.



Our toppings!

Look out - this recipe is tasty and filling! It might become a new favorite!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds YUMMY! I never would've been totally sure what to look for if I was sent to the store for chipotles! (canned, fresh?) I'm going to have to make this. Who's kettlebell DVD are you using? I was just reading someone else's blog about how they are loving them and the DVDs they are using (Jillian, Amy Bento, a few others).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was yummy, B...but a little spicy for the kids, so beware. I used two chipotles from the can and a lot of cilantro.

    I got the GoFit Kettleball at Target because they are on sale right now and I had a $15 gift card!! It came with a DVD which shows you how to do the moves and then has a 25 minute workout. The workout is effective but she goes sooooo fast! I'm sure I'll appreciate that once I get the moves down, but right now, I felt like I was playing catch up. Felt good all the way through, totally out of breath, and rested afterwards and stretched...then I sat down for 20 minutes and when I got back up, oh my goodness!!! I could barely move! Totally worked muscle groups that clearly needed to be worked.

    ReplyDelete