Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cranberry/Strawberry Jam


I love fresh cranberries, but I'm not cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year and the rest of my family won't eat cranberries as much as I will, so rather than making my traditional Thanksgiving cranberries, I decided to make jam instead. Gooseberry Patch had a great recipe for Holiday Jam in their Celebrate the Seasons cookbook. I took their recipe, doubled it and added a little taste of my own. The resulting jam looks and tastes (I snuck a taste) very yummy. I'm looking forward to having this on ice cream, English muffins, toast and a million other ways.

Holiday Jam
(This is the doubled recipe.)
Ingredients:
2 cups fresh cranberries
16 oz. frozen strawberries, thawed
4 oz. frozen pineapple, thawed
4 cups sugar
Cornstarch (if necessary)

1. Put cranberries in a food processor or blender and pulse until chopped.
2. Put in saucepan.
3. Add the strawberries and pineapple and cook until boiling.
4. Add sugar and stir. Bring to a boil.
5. Jam will thicken slightly. Add cornstarch if you want it a little thicker (maybe 1 tbs.)
6. Pour into jars.

I don't like super chunky jam, so I whipped out the old immersion blender and smoothed out my jam before pouring into jars, but I didn't make it completely smooth, just a little less chunky.

P.S. Smaller jam jars would be preferable, but I only had my beloved quart jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment