Sunday, October 24, 2010

Soft Granola Bars




I'm always looking for yummy breakfasts I can make at night that will be easy to grab in the morning. Tonight I made soft granola bars for breakfast for this week. They are mighty tasty and sooooooooooo easy to make. This recipe came from Grandma's Kitchen, a collection of recipes I got through the mail several years ago.

Soft Granola Bars
Ingredients:
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
2 cups rolled oats
1.5 cups AP flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped pecans
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1/4 cup honey
2 tbs butter

**Alternate recipe: replace pecans with chopped peanuts and omit the cloves. (This is what I did as I am out of pecans. This causes them to have a nice peanut butter-type flavor.)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine brown sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl and mix well.
3. Stir in the oats, flour, baking soda, salt, raisins, pecans, cinnamon and cloves.
4. Press evenly over the bottom of a 15X10 inch baking pan. Bake until center is set, about 13 minutes.
5. Combine honey and butter in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until is better is melted.
6. Drizzle honey mixture over hot baked layer. Cool for 15 minutes. Cut into bars. Store in airtight containers for up to 2 weeks (if they last that long)!!

**I put these in containers with pieces of wax paper between each bar, because they do have a tendency to stick to each other.

3 comments:

  1. I am going to try craisins instead of raisins. Do you think that would be good? I am going to make them this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think that will be DELIGHTFUL! I want to try many variations on this recipe - wheat germ to make it healthier, chocolate chips for the boys, etc... Let me know how they turn out - these are soooooooo filling! I eat one around 7 am and I don't get a single hunger pang until around noon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I am going to bake them tomorrow. I bought craisins with blueberry flavor infused (love blueberries) and I am going to add both almonds and pecans for crunch and some almond flavoring since that is my signature on all all baked goods. I will let you know!

    ReplyDelete