Sunday, August 22, 2010

Coffee Cake

My favorite meal of the day, if you haven't guessed it yet, is BREAKFAST!! I absolutely adore it and have since I was a kid. When my parents would take us out to eat, I had two qualifications on what I considered a good restaurant.

1. The drinks were free refills (not many places had this back in the day)
2. Breakfast was served all day

I often serve breakfast for dinner, lunch or anytime I can get away with it and fortunately, my family doesn't mind! But this morning, getting home from Mt. Rainier, I wanted something warm and comforting for breakfast. We didn't have enough eggs to make for all of us, so I got out my faithful Get-togethers with Gooseberry Patch cookbook and decided to try their recipe for Jam-Swirled Coffee Cake. Only mid-way through did I discover that Micah had used all the Blackberry Preserves (MY FAVORITE!!!) on PB&J sandwiches! All we had was orange marmalade. Not sure how or why we had it since none of us care for it, but it was Knotts Berry Farm orange marmalade, so I cut it a little slack. I figured it would be ok as it was going to be cooked into the cake and would lend a lovely orange taste to the cake. So, here is the Gooseberry Patch recipe - except they recommended 1/2 c. apricot preserves and 1/2 c. strawberry preserves. Bet that would've been good too!!

Jam-Swirled Coffee Cake (Gooseberry Patch)
Ingredients:
2 c. AP flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c. butter (cold)
1 egg, beaten
3/4 c. non-fat milk
1/2 c. orange marmalade

1. Combine flour, sugar, BP and salt in food processor.
2. Pulse a few times.
3. Add the butter, cut into small cubes and add to the processor.
4. Pulse until crumbly.
5. Add egg and milk. Pulse until just moistened.
6. Spread into well-greased 9x9 pan (I used a springform pan).
7. Spoon preserves (or marmalade) over top and use knife to swirl it through the batter.
8. Sprinkle evenly with the topping (see below).
9. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-35 minutes (took me about 35).
10. Check at 25 and if the topping looks like it might get burned, cover loosely with aluminum foil.
11. Serve warm.

Topping

2/3 c. brown sugar
2 tbs AP flour
2 tbs butter
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

Mix ingredients with fork until crumbly. (I do this with my hands.)

It was YUMMY!! I might have to keep orange marmalade around!




1 comment:

  1. YUM! Thanks for sharing our recipe here and your photos really look delicious.

    If you haven't already, visit our blog for even more tasty recipes - www.gooseberrypatch.typepad.com - or find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/gooseberrypatch

    See you there - and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete