Monday, August 30, 2010

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

I was at my friend Tori's house on Saturday and she graciously gave me six big, beautiful zucchinis from her garden.

I was overjoyed but I knew we wouldn't eat all of those right away, especially since I have three in my fridge already. But I've been dying to make some zucchini bread. So I took them home, peeled them and grated them into 2 cup batches. I have three Ziploc baggies in the freezer, each ready for their zucchini bread foray when I so desire. But I kept 2 cups fresh because I wanted to make some bread for the next couple of days. (My kids start back to school on Wednesday!!)

I had to go to Paula Deen for this one. The woman makes all things Southern and all things tasty, so I knew she'd have a good recipe and man, does she ever! So here it goes...

Paula Deen's Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (freshly ground people - you'll thank me for this one!!)
1 tsp baking soda
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chocolate chips (trust me on this one...use dark chocolate chips)
1 cup pecans (Sadly, I didn't use these because Nathan doesn't like nuts...I'm not sure he's really my kid)
1 tbs. orange zest
1 cup vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
2 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sift the dry ingredients (sugar is part of the wet ingredients in this one) and set aside.
3. In a mixer, beat the eggs until mixed.
4. Add the sugar and mix well.
5. Add the oil, vanilla, zucchini, chocolate chips, zest and nuts.
6. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until moistened. Don't overmix.
7. Pour into two greased (I used cooking spray) loaf pans. (I only have one loaf pan, so I used a loaf pan and a springform pan.)
8. Put in the oven for 50 minutes. Toothpick should come out clean.

People, let me tell you something...the batter was AMAZING! And yes, confession time...I'm a batter eater. I know what you're thinking but is there anything better than brownie batter, cookie batter and now chocolate chip zucchini bread batter? No, there's just not. I saved a little in the bowl so I could sample it as I washed it. YUM!

These cooked perfectly - 50 minutes exactly. They are brown, golden and a small snack with a little butter and it was delicious. My boys devoured it, so did Micah's friend Andy, before I told them it was zucchini bread. They asked for more. :)

This one is a keeper. Can't wait for a slice for breakfast tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I have made this bread before, but without the chocolate chips. I will have to make it again using this recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete