Friday, June 11, 2010

Chicken satay

As long as I'm bragging on the Jillian Michael's cookbook, Master Your Metabolism Cookbook, I should tell you about the recipe I tried last night: Chicken satay with almond sauce. I've been wanting to make this for a couple of weeks, but I didn't have all the right ingredients, like tamari. In fact, I didn't even know what tamari was, but I know now! It's like a fancy version of soy sauce and there it was on the International Foods aisle of Safeway. This was a fun dish to cook, but I do have to tell you that there is some prep work here, so make sure you give yourself enough time on this one. The results are worth the work.

Chicken satay with almond sauce

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon low-sodium tamari
Juice of 1 orange (about 1/2 cup)
Juice of 1 lime (about 1 & 1/2 tbs)
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tbs natural almond butter
1 tbs honey
1tbs minced fresh ginger
1/4 tsp toasted sesame oil
Olive oil spray, for the grill
About 20 wooden skewers

Slice the chicken into thin strips. In a medium bowl, mix the 1/2 cup tamari, orange and lime juices and 2 of the garlic cloves. Add the chicken slices. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.

Soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 20 minutes.

In a blender or food processor, place the vinegar, almond butter, honey, ginger, sesame oil, 1 tsp tamari and remaining garlic. Blend or process until smooth and set aside.

Spray grill or grill pan with olive oil spray. Preheat to medium high. Dry chicken and thread 2 pieces per skewer. Grill for 2-3 minutes each side. Arrange skewers on platter and drizzle with almond sauce.

That's it! It was yummy! My husband took the leftovers for lunch so I don't have a picture, but the next time I make these I'll post the pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment