Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Rocky Road Pies


While the last few days of my poll run down, I thought I'd throw out a quick dessert that seems to have pleased the kiddos in my house. It's super quick and easy and makes a lot in one simple batch. Called Rocky Road Pies, this recipe hails from a collection I ordered over the internet many years back called Grandma's Kitchen.

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
8 tbs melted butter
1 large egg
2 tbs hot water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup peanuts (I used pecans)
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows, divided
1 cup chocolate chips, divided

1)Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8 inch pie pans.
2)Sift flour, baking powder, soda and salt into a large bowl.
3)Combine the brown sugar and butter and mix well. Add to the flour mixture and mix.
4)Beat egg lightly in small bowl and add hot water and vanilla. Beat well. Add to brown sugar mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts, half the marshmallows and half the choc. chips.
5)Spoon equal portions into prepared pie pans.
6)Top with remaining marshmallows and choc. chips.
7)Bake for 20 minutes. Cool on wire racks for 15 minutes and serve.

I actually liked them better the 2nd day.

Super easy to cook and it certainly satisfied a chocolate craving!

1 comment: