Saturday, October 24, 2015

Baked Blueberry Oatmeal with Pecan Streusel Topping

I just got back from a week of traveling for work, so after a little sleeping in (that's a relative term for me since 6 a.m. is sleeping in), I decided I'd make a cool weather breakfast that's just perfect for fall weather. I saw a recipe on the threemanycooks.com website that I've been wanting to try. I made a few changes to the recipe, but man, oh man, this stuff is GOLD! Pure gold! It's so good. I'm not even a big oatmeal breakfast person, but this stuff will convert me! Next go round, I may reduce the brown sugar a bit in the recipe, just to see if I can eliminate some of the sugar, but this is just too good not to share. Try this oatmeal!

Baked Blueberry Oatmeal with Pecan Streusel Topping
Ingredients:
3 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1.5 cups brown sugar, divided
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
3 cups milk (I used skim, but you could use almond, coconut, or 1%, 2%, or whole)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups fresh blueberries, divided (I used frozen, not thawed, and they worked great!)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup coarsely pecans
half-n-half (optional)

1. Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix oatmeal, 1 cup brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon in a medium bowl.

2. In a separate bowl whisk milk, vanilla, and eggs. Stir milk mixture, then 1 cup of blueberries into oatmeal mixture; turn into a 13- by 9-inch pan.

3. Bake until oatmeal is just starting to set, about 20 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, mix flour, butter, pecans, and remaining brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.

5. Crumble mixture over just set oatmeal, scatter remaining blueberries, and continue to bake until oatmeal is just set and crumble is golden brown, about 20 minutes longer.

6. Dish into bowls; if desired, add a light drizzle of half-n-half.

No comments:

Post a Comment