Creamy Mushroom Vegetable Soup with Barley, and is rich, creamy, cheesy and full of flavor. If you haven't been over to the 100 Days of Real Food site, you should check it out. You're in for a real treat. Her recipe index is loaded with a lot of fabulous food!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
3 slices raw bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces (locally sourced recommended)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup diced onion
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1.25 pounds raw broccoli, cut into 2-inch pieces
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pepper, to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese (I used jack cheese)
Optional garnish: Extra cooked bacon
1. In a large soup pot over medium heat, cook the bacon pieces until brown and crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Add the olive oil and diced onion and allow it to cook and soften for another minute.
3. Turn to medium-low, whisk in the flour, and cook while stirring for 1 to 2 minutes being careful not to let the flour burn.
4. Add the broccoli pieces, broth, milk, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer on medium-low for 10 minutes.
5. Blend until smooth with a hand immersion blender (or by transferring to a countertop blender in batches).
6. Stir in the heavy cream and shredded cheese and serve warm. (You can freeze any leftovers.)