Monday, April 1, 2013

Blueberry Maple Cake


I saw the recipe for this cake months ago on the fabulous Cookie and Kate website, and I socked it away, waiting for blueberries to come in season. Today, I decided I couldn't wait for fresh blueberries, and I decided to try it with frozen blueberries that I put up myself last summer. To my utter delight, this recipe worked great with frozen blueberries! And I'm so glad, because this just hit the spot! I wanted something cake-y, sweet, warm, a little gooey and fabulous and this cake hit every single one of those requirements!!! I've linked to Cookie & Kate's website here for the recipe, but I've also reprinted below. Yum, yum, yummers!

Blueberry Maple Cake
Ingredients:

Cake
1.5 cups plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
.25 teaspoon baking soda
.25 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup real maple syrup
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk (I used non-fat)
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup fresh blueberries (I used frozen!!)

Glaze
3 tablespoons real maple syrup
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Pinch sea salt or kosher salt
1/4 cup powdered sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease an 8-inch square pan.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: maple syrup, egg, milk and melted butter. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix just until combined and gently fold in the blueberries. Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for about 23 to 26 minutes, until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

4. While the cake is cooling, make the glaze. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the maple syrup and salt, then stir in the powdered sugar and cook until the sugar is completely dissolved, stirring constantly. Pour the warm glaze over the cake and use a pastry brush to distribute the glaze evenly. Let the cake cool completely, slice and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment