Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Mini Turkey Meatloafs


Something that doesn't happen very often in my house happened today...I ran out of onions! I put them in almost everything, so it is slightly a crisis to be without them, but since 3 out of the 4 of us are fighting some sort of flu/cold bug thing, I didn't really want to run out to the store. My CSA box had delivered three beautiful leeks on Tuesday, so I decided to use those in place of the onion in my meatloaf. But while raw onions cook relatively nicely in meatloaf, I wanted to be sure that my leeks were soft, semi-caramelized and buttery before they even went into the oven. I also wanted these little guys to be portable and easy to portion, so I used my muffin tin to make these little meatloafs.

These little guys turned out so moist and delicious despite the fact that I only used ground turkey, which can sometimes get dry. Pair one of these little meatloafs with a salad or a plate of sauteed veggies, and you have a wonderful, filling meal.

Mini Turkey Meatloafs
Ingredients:
1.25 lb lean ground turkey or turkey breast
1 cup ketchup (natural ketchup is best)
3/4 cup old fashioned oatmeal (not the quick cooking kind)
1 egg
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 leeks, sliced thinly
1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper

1. In a medium saute pan over medium heat, heat the oil. When it's hot, add the leeks and a little salt, and cook until soft and just starting to brown. Remove from heat.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 12-cup muffin pan (I use a little olive oil on each muffin tin).

3. In a large bowl, combine the meat, egg, oatmeal, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, leeks and salt and pepper. Mix until combined. Do not overmix.

4. Using a scooper, portion the meat mixture into the 12 muffin tins.

5. Cook for 20 minutes or until they reach 160 degrees on the inside. Let cool and remove from the muffin tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment