Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Green Curry Chicken



We love Thai food, but we don't often go out to eat much anymore, particularly to Asian-inspired food because Andy is allergic to soy, and it's in so much of the Asian cuisine. But, when we do go out, Andy always gets the Green Curry Chicken. It's thinly sliced chicken basically poached in this beautiful green liquid. It's got moderate spice level and is just velvety on the tongue. We've talked about trying to make it at home, but I haven't been able to find a green curry paste that I like, and while I could make one myself, I'd rather not in this instance.

Finally, I landed upon a jar at a health food store nearby that contains no miso or soy, has all-natural ingredients and looked good. I bought it and earlier this week, I took my first foray into making Green Curry Chicken. I used chicken thighs, but you could use breasts for this. In fact, next time (and there will be a next time), I plan on using a mix of thighs and breasts. While the traditional dish is served with rice in the Thai restaurant we visit, I wanted a grain with more nutritional punch, so I served mine with pearl barley. Andy, Micah and I were thrilled with this. Nathan thought it was a bit too spicy for his taste, but I thought it was just right.

Green Curry Chicken
Ingredients:
1/2 onion, sliced thinly
1 lb. boneless chicken thighs or breasts, sliced lengthwise into strips
2 tbs green curry paste (I used Thai and True Green Curry Paste)
1 cup lite coconut milk (you could use regular here)
Salt and pepper
1 tsp fish sauce (optional)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 tbs coconut oil

1. Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add the coconut oil. When the oil has melted, add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the green curry paste and coconut milk and cook until the paste is dissolved. Add the fish sauce, if using.

**NOTE: I know fish sauce stinks, and some of you might think it's gross, but you can't get that flavor from anywhere else. I hate all seafood, but fish sauce imparts a wonderful flavor to certain dishes, and it's NOT fishy-tasting!**

2. Add the chicken, making sure it's covered by the liquid. Bring the pan to a simmer and then turn the heat down to a slow simmer, about 3-4 on my stove. Cook low and slow until the meat is fully cooked.

3. Add the peas and heat until warm. Serve over pearl barley or brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment