Monday, November 12, 2012

Lemon Curd



There are two kinds of people in this world...those who like lemon curd and those who don't. For many, many years, I wouldn't even touch the stuff. I mean, with the name CURD, unless your British, that just sounds unappetizing. I also was not a big lemon fan as a child, so the lemon did nothing, in my mind, to redeem the curd. Now, my mother LOVES lemon curd, and I would see her put it on English muffins, or crumpets, or pretty much anything. I didn't get it.

However, as an adult, the day I dipped my spoon into my first taste of lemon curd, I was smitten. I mean, I questioned how I'd lived my life thus far without eating this exquisiteness masquerading as a simple topping for scones, ice cream or a myriad other vehicles. So, I was OVERJOYED to see that Cookie & Kate had a recipe for no-strain lemon curd (or blood orange - can't WAIT to try that!) using honey. My mom is coming to visit me in March, so I figured I needed some time to perfect a lemon curd recipe before she got here so I could make her homemade scones, lemon curd and tea! This weekend, I took my first stab at this recipe. I don't think I'll need much time perfecting as this recipe was EASY and tastes drop-dead yummy.

If you're one of those people who love lemon curd, try this recipe! You'll never buy your curd again. And if you're one of those who don't like lemon curd, try it anyway - you might just change your mind!

**Cookie & Kate suggest using Meyer lemons...I couldn't locate any right now, but when I do, I'll be sure to make it with those super sweet little gems!

Lemon Curd (via Cookie & Kate)
Ingredients:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup honey
4 large egg yolks
2 large eggs
2/3 cup fresh blood orange or lemon juice (about 4-6 blood oranges or 6-8 lemons).
1 tablespoon finely grated blood orange or lemon zest

1. In a medium bowl, cream the butter and honey until fluffy.

2. Beat in the eggs slowly.

3. Pour in the fresh citrus juice, and pour the mixture into a medium-sized, non-reactive saucepan.

4. Cook over moderate (medium-low) heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Cook until the mixture has thickened and becomes jelly-like, which took about 5 to 7 minutes for me. This happens in a flash so pay attention! You really want to let it teeter on the edge of boiling, but pull the pan off the stove before it gets to a rolling boil. It’s done when your finger leaves a clear path on the back of a wooden spoon (be careful, it’s hot!).


Before it begins to thicken.

5. Immediately remove from heat and stir in the citrus zest. No straining required!

6. Pour the curd into a glass jar(s) and let it cool completely before you screw on the lid(s). Store the curd in the refrigerator.

Makes 2 cups.

Cookie & Kate leaves this note on her site for uses for citrus curds:
Suggested uses for citrus curds: Serve on honey or molasses bread, buttered toast, scones, pound cake, gingerbread, shortbread, or molasses cookies, either on its own or with a dollop of whipped cream, crème fraiche, cream cheese, vanilla ice cream or Greek yogurt (as shown). It also makes a great filling for tarts, crêpes, stuffed French toast and sandwich cookies! It would be a lovely addition to a berry parfait as well. The options are limitless!

No comments:

Post a Comment