Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Creamy Coconut-Lime Soup



I like spice. But I don't like too much heat in my spice. Sounds funny, I know. But I want to be able to taste my spice not just on the first bite, but also on the last, meaning, I don't want my mouth burned so bad by the heat of the spice that I can't taste anything after that first bite. This has definitely happened. Until I know a Thai or Chinese restaurant really well, I order no stars or maybe one star. So, I tend to err on the side of mildness in my own cooking. But I definitely want to taste those spices when I'm eating food rich in spices and flavors.

I saw this recipe in a holiday version of a Better Homes & Gardens and I thought it sounded mighty tasty! I modified it a bit, but I'm happy with the result. It's a smooth, creamy, spicy soup that warms you from head to toe.

Creamy Coconut-Lime Soup
Ingredients:
1 2 - 2.5 lb. rotisserie chicken (I roasted four legs and thighs and stripped them of their meat)
2 cups water
2 - 14 oz. cans unsweetened light coconut milk
1.5 cups thinly bias-sliced carrots
1/3 cup lime juice
1 tbs soy sauce
2 tsp Thai seasoning
1/4 tsp salt

Toppings (optional)
Thai seasoning
Fresh cilantro
Peanuts
Lime wedges

1. Remove and discard skin and bones from chicken. Using two forks, pull chicken apart into shreds. In a large saucepan, combine shredded chicken, water, coconut milk, carrots, lime juice, soy sauce and the 2 tsp Thai seasoning, and the salt.

2. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 8 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender.

3. If desired, top each serving with additional Thai seasoning, cilantro, and peanuts and serve with lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment