Saturday, November 24, 2012

Chocolate Cream Pie





My children are weird. They don't like fruit desserts, so when I decided to make pear crisp for Thanksgiving, I knew they wouldn't eat it. So I made a Chocolate Cream Pie as well, so they'd have something chocolate-y for dessert. This recipe was from my Eating Well magazine, and it was pretty darn good, especially since I made it with non-fat milk! You wouldn't know it if I told you - it was rich, creamy and quite chocolate-y.

I will make this again for sure - however, next time, I think I will try Chocolate Graham Crackers for the crust instead of the chocolate wafer cookies (which are fine, but they contain high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oil, so I don't want to use those again).

Chocolate Cream Pie
Ingredients:
CRUST
7 ounces chocolate wafer cookies (about 32 small cookies)
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons low-fat milk
FILLING
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
Pinch of salt
2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
2 large eggs
4 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate
TOPPING
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate curls for garnish (see Tip)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.

2. To prepare crust: Process chocolate wafers in a food processor until finely ground. Add oil and milk; pulse until combined. Using your hands, press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pie pan. Bake for 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.

3. To prepare filling: Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large saucepan. Whisk milk and eggs in a medium bowl, then whisk into the sugar mixture. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until bubbles begin to form around the edges. Cook, stirring vigorously, for 2 minutes more. Strain through a sieve into a large bowl. Whisk in chocolate until completely melted.

4. Pour the filling into the crust. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a “skin” from forming. Refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours.

5. To prepare topping & decorate pie: Just before serving, beat cream and vanilla in a bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Smooth any lines on the pie’s surface with the back of a spoon. Spoon or pipe (with a pastry bag) 10 dollops of whipped cream around the edge of the pie. Garnish with chocolate curls. **I just spread the whipped cream over the top of my pie rather than the dollops.**



No comments:

Post a Comment