Friday, October 26, 2012

Potato and Leek Soup




I think I've professed my love for leeks previously. They are such useful vegetables, and they have a unique taste that can't be matched by any other member of the onion family. This soup is a creamy, smooth concoction that cooks up in no time flat.

TIP: I added a bit much broth to my soup before pureeing. When I blended the soup, it was too thin. So, I added about 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs, stirred it in and then blended again. Perfection!

Potato and Leek Soup
Ingredients:
4 tbs butter
1 onion, chopped
4 leeks, sliced
4 small-medium potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
3.5 - 4 cups chicken broth
Salt and pepper
Half -n- half (optional)

1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onion, leeks, and potatoes, and saute gently for 7-8 minutes until softened but not browned. Pour in the stock, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.

2. Blend with a stick blender (hand-held immersion blender) or in batches in a blender until smooth. Return to the saucepan. Reheat the soup and season with salt and pepper. Serve in warmed bowls swirled with half-n-half.

No comments:

Post a Comment