Sunday, October 14, 2012

Plum Butter



I had a lot of leftover plums hanging out in the fridge that needed to be used up quickly! I'd made peach butter before, but I haven't tried plum butter. I found a great recipe via the Martha Stewart website and gave it a go. This is delicious, though I might go with a bit less on the spice next time. I can't wait to have this on an English muffin for breakfast, or over pancakes or even French Toast.

Plum Butter (via Martha Stewart)
Ingredients:
3 & 1/2 pounds plums
1 & 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Split plums in half, remove pits, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Do not peel. Place in a 6-quart nonreactive saucepan, and add 1 cup water and the sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook until fruit is very soft, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; puree fruit and liquid in a food mill or food processor.

2. Rinse saucepan and return puree to pan along with cardamom and cinnamon. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, until thick enough to spread, 2 & 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove from heat and let cool. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment