Monday, October 8, 2012

Collard Greens


I'm a little embarrassed to say that even though I lived a good chunk of my childhood in Texas, to my knowledge, I've never eaten collard greens. I've certainly never cooked them. But the CSA box contained collard greens and my friend Tori shared her recipe with me, so I dutifully went about following it, because let's be real...if it's Tori's recipe, then it's bound to be good. And it was! I know that a lot of collard green recipes are slow cooked for a long time, but this is a quick-cooking recipe that was mighty tasty. I'll be looking to get more collard greens in my box in the future, just to use this recipe again!

Tori told me this isn't really a recipe; it's just the way her grandma from Kentucky used to make it. I've found that those are the best kinds of recipes!

Tori's Collard Greens
Ingredients:
1 bunch collard greens, chopped
4 oz. bacon (estimate - use as little or as much as you want)
1 cup chicken or beef broth or water
Splash red wine vinegar
Black pepper

1. Cook bacon in a large saute pan until crispy.

2. Add chopped collard greens to the pot with the bacon and bacon drippings. Be sure to coat the greens.

3. Add the broth or water. Clamp a lid on for 15 minutes. (I did this over medium heat.)

4. Remove the lid. If you still have liquid in the pan, kick up the heat until the liquid starts to boil. Reduce until the liquid is almost gone, but watch it so it doesn't burn. When the liquid has mostly evaporated, remove from heat. Splash with red wine vinegar and plenty of black pepper. Stir and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment