Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Freezing Pesto




Andy's aunt and uncle gave us their produce from their CSA (community supported agriculture) box this week, and I was overjoyed when I saw the HUGE bunch of basil that came with it. I immediately thought of making pesto and freezing it for later use. This is such a snap, I'm not sure why I didn't do it before!

Pesto
Ingredients:
4 cups (packed) fresh basil leaves
6 cloves garlic
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup walnuts or pine nuts
Salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Place the basil and garlic into a food processor bowl. Process until smooth. While the processor is running, drizzle in the olive oil. Then add the cheese and nuts. Process until all the ingredients are combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

2. Spoon pesto into ice cube trays or a muffin tin. Freeze until hard. When frozen, using a knife, gently unmold the pesto cubes and place in freezer bags. I put small squares of wax paper in between each of mine so that when I want to defrost one or two cubes, they will easily come apart.

Now I will have fresh pesto all winter long!

No comments:

Post a Comment