Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Brotchan foltchep a.k.a. Leek and Oatmeal Soup




I love leeks. Few vegetables are as versatile as the leek. Perfect in a soup, a tart, as roasted on their own or with a variety of other veg, the leek has a wonderfully mild onion flavor that permeates almost any application you choose. I had three beautiful leeks from my CSA this last week and decided I wanted to make soup. Normally, I would use leeks as a base for broccoli soup and potato soup, but I really wanted to highlight the leek, and not have it as just a background flavor.

I ran across this recipe in my Irish Food & Cooking cookbook, and I'm so glad I did. Don't be fooled by the fact that there's only 5 actual ingredients in this soup (other than seasoning). It packs some serious flavor punch. And talk about comforting...oh my goodness. This will become an annual fall/winter soup in our house. I served mine up with some homemade soda bread, topped with apricot jam...the good feelings this meal prompted lasted me well throughout the day. The recipe below is double what I made - next time, I will be sure to have six leeks on hand so I can make the full recipe.

Brotchan foltchep (Leek and Oatmeal Soup)
Ingredients:
5 cups chicken stock and milk, mixed (2.5 cups stock, 2.5 cups milk)
2 tbs medium pinhead oatmeal (Irish oatmeal - you can find this in the grocery store - McCann's is a brand I know and love)
2 tbs butter
6 large leeks, sliced in 3/4-inch pieces
Sea salt and ground black pepper
Pinch of allspice

1. Bring the stock and milk mixture to a boil over medium heat and sprinkle in the oatmeal. Stir well to prevent lumps forming, and then simmer gently.

2. Wash the leeks in a bowl. Melt the butter in a separate pan and cook the leeks over a gentle heat until softened slightly, then add them to the stock mixture. Simmer for a further 15-20 minutes, or until the oatmeal is cooked. Extra stock or milk can be added if the soup is too thick.

3. Season with salt, pepper and allspice. Serve in warmed bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment