Friday, August 24, 2012

Vegetable Tian


I ran across a neat new blog today called Deliciously Organic. It is packed with delicious, healthy, all-organic recipes that are simple, delicious and so pretty to look at! I had a refrigerator full of veggies that I didn't want to go to waste, but I knew we wouldn't get them all eaten if I didn't do some cooking. So I went looking for a recipe that was a little different from what I'd prepared before. I landed on this one for a vegetable tian while perusing the Deliciously Organic site. This was easy to make, is quite the statement piece and from the small bite I snuck tonight, is quite yummy. I used yellow summer squash rather than zucchini, and I didn't quite have enough tomatoes to make it all the way around, but this worked out quite well! I'm eager to try it with some different veg next time.

Vegetable Tian (via Deliciously Organic site)
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large yellow onions
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme

4 large zucchini, sliced into thin coins
6-7 small yukon or yellow potatoes, sliced into thin coins
4-5 Roma tomatoes, sliced into thin coins
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated gouda or Pecorino Romano cheese **I used Parmesan**

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and adjust rack to middle position. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and salt and cook for about 10 minutes until soft and just beginning to caramelize. Add garlic and thyme and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Spread onion mixture in the bottom of an 10-inch diameter baking dish.

**I used a 9X13 baking dish - not quite as pretty, but this is a LOT of veg!**

2. Layer tomatoes, potatoes and zucchini in alternating layers (as shown in photo above). Drizzle with olive oil and season with thyme, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese. Place a piece of parchment paper over dish followed by a piece of foil. Wrap the foil tightly around the dish. Bake for 30 minutes, remove foil and parchment and bake for an additional 25 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment