Thursday, August 30, 2012

Cuban Sandwiches



The day I've been waiting for all week finally arrived: Cuban Sandwich time!!! I stopped by the bakery and picked up some soft hoagie rolls (very similar to French bread), some good ham, and Swiss and Provolone cheeses. Cubans are typically made with Swiss, but I like the smoky flavor of the Provolone. I made mine panini-style, but I don't have a panini press, so I just used a grill pan and a heavy cast iron skillet on top to press the sandwich down. Remember that roast pork from earlier in the week? It was a wonderful addition to this delicious sandwich.

Cuban Sandwiches
Ingredients:
1 hoagie roll
2 tsp yellow mustard (or spicy brown, if you like a little kick)
1 slice Swiss or Provolone cheese
Couple slices of thinly-sliced roast pork
Couple slices of good, thinly-sliced ham
Dill or Sweet Pickles (I used my quick sweet pickles, of course, which started this whole Cuban sandwich thing in the first place!)

1. Preheat your grill pan over medium heat. Cut your hoagie in half lengthwise. Spread mustard on both sides of the bread. Then build your sandwich, starting with the ham, pork and cheese and finishing with the pickles. Top with other half of bread.

2. Put the sandwich in the grill pan. Take your cast iron skillet and press down onto the sandwich. Cook low and slow for about 10 minutes. If it starts to smoke, your heat is a bit high. If your cheese doesn't quite get as melted as you would like, pop the sandwich into the microwave for about 30 seconds. **Or use your panini press as directed.**

3. Serve immediately to oohs and ahs and happy stomachs!

3 comments:

  1. I think Jody will love this meal ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out better than I had thought it would - will definitely repeat in our house! :) Hope Joey likes it!

    ReplyDelete